Monday, June 18, 2012

Krista Foundation

As some of you may know, I was selected in early May to be a member of the 2012 Krista Colleagues cohort, which is a part of the Krista Foundation for Global Citizenship.  As a new member of the community, I am receiving a $1000 leadership and development grant, and I get to attend their annual conference and other events throughout the year, both now and when I return from Mexico. 

The Krista Foundation was started by Jim & Linda Hunt of Spokane, in memoriam of their daughter Krista. Her life was tragically cut short while pursuing voluntary service work in Bolivia. The Hunts channeled their grief into the creation of this foundation, which has since 1999 empowered young adults in & from the Pacific Northwest who are pursuing service work in the fields about which Krista was passionate: urban America, developing nations & environmental justice. The grant is specific in that it is to be used in helping the awardee pursue continuing education / vocational interest-related topics which they might otherwise not be able to pursue on the subsistence wages one typically receives in such a time of service. The Krista Foundation is also passionate about creating a strong support network for people both in their year of service and afterward, as well as encouraging the cultivation of the attitude that service is not simply an event, but a way of life.  (I stole this paragraph from fellow colleague Nina Boe, who is going to Sao Paulo with the Young Adult Service Corps.  Read her blog here!)  This year there are 17 colleagues, and we are a very diverse group of young adults!  Our years of service vary, and stretch all across the globe, including Seattle, Los Angeles, Uganda, Peru, and, of course, Cuernavaca!  (Read more about the current colleagues.
2012 Krista Colleagues!

Every year, the annual conference is held over Memorial Day weekend in Spokane.  Unfortunately, I was not able to attend much of the conference, as PLU graduation was on May 27, and I wanted to be in Tacoma for all the graduation festivities.  However, I was able to go for a little bit, and spent Friday night in Spokane, meeting the rest of my cohort.  I am really excited about all of the possibilities with this grant when I return from Mexico, and the great community I get to be a part of!  I love that I have another community that is supporting me and praying for me during my year of service.  (Once again, check the support tab at the top of the page to learn more about how to support me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment